The United Kingdom currently emerging as one of the most prominent immigration destinations among citizens in Nigeria with the purpose to live and work in the Boris Johnson led country.
But, the policy for UK Immigration is harsh when compared to other developed nations, but there are multiple routes to achieve the UK permanent residency objective in 2022.
Due to the recent Brexit election which lead the UK to leave the European Union, EU citizens not living in the UK are now been treated the same way as those from the rest of the world.
These events have paved the introduction of the UK Innovator visa and the UK Start-up visa schemes, with certain new possibilities for eligible migrants to settle and work in the UK.
Why You Should Migrate To UK
Skilled and qualified professionals from Nigeria in 2022 still consider the United Kingdom as one of the world’s best destinations to migrate and settle permanently to live, work and study.
Its high standards of living and cultural integrity make it the most sort-after destination for individuals seeking quality life for themselves and dependents.
Some of the major reasons why you should migrate to the UK are listed as follows:
- Growing economy across diverse in-house industries and enterprises
- The great demand for skilled and qualified workers to contribute to the economy
- Already existing African community with a considerable number of successful Nigerians
- High-quality and free healthcare services dispersed through the National Health Service (NHS)
- World-renowned educational across universities and colleges
- The strong passport that facilitates travel across the globe
How To Move To The Uk From Nigeria
In order to move to the UK in 2022 as a Nigerian, you will apply quickly under the current UK visa schemes, your eligibility is largely determined, based on your score on the UK Tier Points-based System.
The Points-based system assessed the eligibility of the applicant against various relevant factors to apply for UK work, study and business visas.
Note: Most of the UK Work visa schemes (Tier 1 visa schemes), as well as the UK Study visa schemes (Tier 4 visa schemes), are processed using the UK Tier Points-based System.
Some of the ways by which citizens of Nigeria can move to the UK in 2022 includes:
- Migrating with a prior job offer
- Migrating on a student visa
- Migrating as an entrepreneur with a business idea
- Migrating as an investor
- Migrating if got married to a UK citizen or a permanent resident of the UK
UK Tier Visa System
The most popular visa schemes that are used by citizens from Nigeria to migrate to the UK for work, study and business purposes have been listed as follows:
- Tier 2 Visa (General Work Visa)
This UK visa category is designed for skilled workers who wish to migrate to the UK permanently and address the labour skill-shortage needs of the country. Candidates under the Tier 2 visa are selected through the point-based system and is only issued to highly skilled individuals who have been offered a job in the UK.
Who Is Eligible For Uk Visa
- Applicants who are 18 years of age or above at the time of application.
- Make sure you are able to demonstrate enough source of funds or personal savings to support yourself during your initial days in the UK.
- Have a valid job offer or a job on the occupation list
- You also need to get sponsored by a legitimate UK employer before you apply to live permanently in the UK.
How To Apply To Work In Uk
To apply to work in the UK, you must apply online for a Skilled Worker visa HERE.
Go through the list of jobs on the shortage occupation, identify the employer of your choice based on the service sector, speciality or role. Contact them directly by submitting your updated and carefully constructed resume’ plus supporting statement. Do not include your date of birth, gender, marital status on your CV because It is not UK standard. Employers will request for that separately when they require it and besides there’s a law guiding that. It will usually be requested using an ‘Equal opportunities monitoring form’.
How Much UK Working Visa Cost
The visa application fee will depend on how many years the job seeker plans to work in the UK and If your job is on the shortage occupation list you will pay a lower application fee.
- £464 if you’re staying for up to 3 years
- £928 if you’re staying for more than 3 years
Uk Occupation List 2021
Check out below to find jobs on the shortage occupations list or visit the UK government site HERE;
Documents Needed To Enter Uk
Below is just a general list of documents that you must have while filing the application for UK immigration:
- A copy certificate of sponsorship reference number (in case of Tier 1 General Visa).
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Copy of bank statement to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds or personal savings to support yourselves in the UK.
- a current passport or travel document to prove you can travel – you need a blank page in your passport for your visa
- Copy of expired passports or travel-related documents to show your travel history.
- Medical test results
- Yellow fever card
Moving To Uk As A Student
The new UK student visa application system allows them to apply six months before they are due to start a course if they are applying from Nigeria.
According to the recently launched programme by the government, a graduate visa allows students who have completed a degree to stay in the UK for two years. This will rise to three years for those who have done a PhD.