Former Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr aired his views on Nigeria ahead of match between Nigeria and Egypt at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, on Tuesday evening.
The main news: The German professional football manager said the super eagles of Nigeria cannot pretend to be better than Algeria or Egypt because they don’t have any big players in the team.
- Rohr told football magazine World Soccer on Tuesday that Nigeria don’t have stars playing for top biggest clubs in the football world.
What he’s saying: “Nigeria don’t have these big stars like Jay-Jay Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu or Victor Ikpeba. [Wilfried] Ndidi isn’t yet a star; [Kelechi] Iheanacho not yet either.”
- “They don’t have any players in Liverpool, Manchester, Munich or Chelsea, which is the case for Senegal, Egypt, and Ivory Coast.
- “The biggest clubs are perhaps Leicester, or possibly Napoli with Victor Osimhen.
- “When you don’t have the players in fantastic clubs, playing the semi-finals or quarter-finals of the Champions League all the time, you cannot pretend to be better than Algeria or Egypt.
- “That is the question of football without stars. It is more collective football.”
Nigeria later humiliated Egypt and their highly rated player Mohamed Salah as they became top trending meme of the week.
As it stands now, Nigeria is the champion in the Group ahead of Egypt, Guinea-Bissau, and Sudan.
Share your story with us! Email MandyNews1@gmail.com