Claims that it gunned down the missing Alpha jet which disappeared from the radar screen on Wednesday by the fighter group, Boko Haram is “fake news,” an official spokesperson for the Nigerian Air Force on Friday said.
The Abubakar Shekau-led faction of Boko Haram, Jama’atu Ahlussunnah Lidda’awati Wal Jihad released a video on Friday claimed its members shot down the jet.
Reacting to the report, the Director of Public Relations and Information Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet dismissed the claim, saying that the viral video could be clips from an incident somewhere.
Boko Haram Behind Nigeria Alpha Jet Crash In Borno State
The Moment Nigeria Alpha Jet Shot Down By Boko Haram (Photos, Video)
What he said:
- “We have seen some videos but there is nothing that has proven that the aircraft in those clips belongs to us
- Or have you seen a Nigerian Air Force aircraft number or the body of an Air Force pilot or have you seen any Air Force uniform?
- Until we get all these details straightened out, we are not going to go into speculation.
- “That video could have been shot somewhere.
- I have seen four videos so far.
- One of them has lush vegetation in the background, and I wonder where they have such vegetation in the Northeast.
- Unless they did something and they are releasing the clips bit by bit, we are waiting.
- “Except we have evidence because like I said, these persons have families and you cannot go their wives, parents or wards, you must bring concrete evidence.
- There must be something to show.”