- The Lagos State government has shut down Chrisland Schools indefinitely amid allegation of rape.
- A 10-year-old pupil of the school was said to have been raped by her schoolmates during a trip to Dubai.
- The incident sparked outrage on social media, with many calling on the government to act.
The Lagos State government shut down the Chrisland School over the alleged rape of a 10-year-old girl, which led to a pregnancy.
A private school, located in Victoria Garden City, off Lekki Express Way, in the Ajah area, was closed over the alleged rape of a 10-year-old girl who was said to have represented the school at the World School Games in Dubai.
The state government, which shut down the Chrisland School in VGC, explained that the 10-year-old girl who was allegedly raped is being investigated.
The authorities of Nigeria’s largest city said that the investigation will be carried out by the relevant ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs), including the Ministry of Education; Office of Education Quality Assurance; Ministry of Youth and Social Development; Ministry of Justice; and the Lagos State Domestic & Sexual Violence Agency.
In the statement obtained via the government’s official Twitter account, the government said that the criminal allegations have been forwarded to the Commissioner of Police.
What Lagos State Government is saying:
- “The attention of the Lagos State Government has been drawn to the alleged sexual violence case involving students of Chrisland Schools which occurred in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- It is pertinent to note that all allegations are being investigated by the relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies, including Ministry of Education, Office of Education Quality Assurance, Ministry of Youth and Social Development, Ministry of Justice and the Lagos State Domestic & Sexual Violence Agency, whilst the criminal allegations have been escalated to the Commissioner of Police.
- In view of the allegations, we are committed to ensuring that adequate medical and pscyho social support is provided.
- This is to reassure members of the public of the State Government’s commitment to safety and child protection, especially in ensuring that all child-centered institutions within the state, formulate and implement policies and systems that are compliant with the Executive Order (NO.E0/AA08 of 2016), Lagos State Safeguarding and Child Protection Program.
- We also use this medium to remind the general public that any person who engages in any visual depiction of sexually explicit conduct involving a child, commits an offence and is liable to custodial sentence of fourteen (14) years.
- This includes “producing, distributing, receiving, or possessing an image of child pornography”. In the meantime, all Chrisland Schools within Lagos State are hereby closed, pending further investigations.
- Signed Lagos State Government“
Read the whole report about the 10year old and Chrisland below.
- Chrisland School Girl Video: Here’s Everything You Need To Know
- Why Chrisland School Suspended 10-year-old Rape Victim In Dubai
- 10-Year-old Girl Raped At World School Games In Dubai