Will Smith has been barred from attending the Oscars for the next ten years.
Why was Will Smith banned from the Oscars?
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the actor will no longer attend the Oscars or any other Academy events for the next ten years.
On Friday, the academy’s 54-member board of governors met virtually to decide what disciplinary action to take against Smith.
Will Smith is barred from attending the Academy Awards as a result of his conflict with Chris Rock, whom he smacked on stage at the 94th Academy Awards.
While he was about to present an award at the Oscars 2022, Chris Rock made a joke about Will Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, regarding her hair.He said:
- “Do you know who has the most difficult job tonight?
- Javier Bardem and his wife are both nominated.
- If she loses, he can’t win.
- He is praying that Will Smith wins, like please Lord Jada.
- I love you, G.I Jane 2 can’t wait to see it all. “
Following the joke, Will took to the stage and punched Chris Rock in the face, yelling at him to leave his wife alone.
- “keep my wife’s name out of your f***ing mouth,” he said.
What did jada smith say about Chris Rock getting hit by Will Smith?
Despite that, Will Smith said he punched Chris Rock out of love for his wife, Jada Smith, who claimed her husband acted poorly.
Will Smith received his first Oscar for his role as Venus and Serena Williams’ father Richard in King Richard on the same night.
What Oscars said about Will Smith
- “Open Letter to Our Academy Family” sent by Rubin and Hudson on Friday morning:
- The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage.
- During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry.
- This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.
- Today, the Board of Governors convened a meeting to discuss how best to respond to Will Smith’s actions at the Oscars, in addition to accepting his resignation.
- The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.
- We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances.
- We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.
- This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behavior is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust in the Academy.
- We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted.”
Despite his 10-year suspension from the Oscars, Will Smith will keep the Oscar he won for King Richard and will be eligible for future nominations and wins, according to the Academy Awards.