ZAMFARA — The House of Assembly on Wednesday impeached the state’s deputy governor for charges of corruption.
Mahdi Aliyu Gusau became the first deputy to have been impeached by the state House of Representatives this year.
The State Governor, Bello Matawalle had dumped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to join the All Progressive Congress last year while Mr Gusau had refused to join the APC.
This is not the first time for APC to try impeaching a sitting official but they succeeded in this – they failed in the Edo State.
Here’s all you need to know.
Why was Mahdi Gusau impeached?
On 7 February 2022, Mahdi Aliyu Gusau, Zamfara deputy Governor, was impeached for gross misconduct and abuse of office by the House of Assembly.
According to the information gathered by MANDY NEWS, the impeachment resulted from him refusing to join the ruling All Progressive Party (APC).
- “For over six months, Zamfara governor’s single biggest priority has been to remove his deputy, who committed the “crime” of refusing to join the APC.
- If Matawalle gave half the time he dedicated to impeaching his deputy to fighting terrorists, Zamfara would’ve been much safer,” Bulama Bukarti said.
How Zamfara Deputy Governor Was Impeached
According to Jaafar Jaafar who disclosed everything on his page on Facebook said:
- The Zamfara State House of Assembly received a panel report that investigated the deputy governor Mandi Aliyu TODAY;
- redrafted the Order Paper in order to deliberate, consider and adopt the report TODAY;
- voted for the impeachment/removal of the deputy governor TODAY;
- received a letter from governor nominating a new deputy governor, Senator Hassan Nasiha, TODAY;
- redrafted the Order Paper to reflect invitation of the deputy governor-nominee for screening TODAY;
- questioned and grilled the deputy governor-nominee TODAY;
- called for the Committee of the Whole and later back to the plenary to screen and confirm his nomination TODAY!
- The Clerk of the House wrote the resolution and transmitted to the governor TODAY,
- and upon receipt of the resolution TODAY, the governor wrote to the state chief judge, Kulu Aliyu, inviting her to swear-in the new deputy governor TODAY;
- the chief judge honoured the invitation and administer the oath of office to the new deputy governor TODAY;
- the new deputy governor resigned as Senator TODAY;
- the governor signed the appointment letter of the deputy governor TODAY;
- the deputy governor assumed office as the fifth deputy governor of Zamfara State TODAY.
He asked what do you think if insecurity receives half as much attention TODAY?