Nigeria stands on the brink of a defining moment. The nation’s highest court, the Supreme Court, has taken decisive action.
A seven-member panel of justices is now in place, poised to examine the appeal petitions filed by political stalwarts: Atiku Abubakar, Peter Obi, and Chichi Ojei.
“Justice, though due to the accused, is due to the accuser as well. The concept of fairness must not be stretched so thin that it loses its meaning. We must maintain a true balance.” – Benjamin Cardozo
These three, representing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Labour Party (LP), and the Allied Peoples Movement (APM), are not merely challenging any election. They’re contesting the results of the pivotal February 25 presidential election.
Zainab M. Garba, from the office of the registrar, has signed the court notices. By the Order 2 Rule 1 (2) of the Supreme Court’s Rules 1985 as amended, this notice is considered as having been duly served to all parties involved.
The Panel: Who Are They?
The nation’s gaze is fixed on these justices, the individuals who will sit, deliberate, and decide on the appeals. Here’s a brief overview:
- Musa Dattijo Muhammad: An experienced justice renowned for his impartiality.
- Uwani Musa Abba Aji: Recognized for her meticulous attention to detail.
- Lawal Garba: A justice revered for staunchly upholding the rule of law.
- Helen M. Ogunwumiju: Her judgments often showcase a profound understanding of societal implications.
- I.N. Saulawa: A firm believer in procedure and due process.
- Tijjani Abubakar: His extensive experience in electoral matters is invaluable.
- Emmanuel Agim: A justice known for bringing fresh perspectives to cases.
Moreover, the apex court has another significant date on its calendar. On Monday, October 23, the court will address the motion filed by Atiku. The motion’s objective? To present new evidence, alleging that President Bola Tinubu submitted a counterfeit certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
For continuous updates on this unfolding narrative, stay connected to MandyNews.com.
Share your story with us! Email MandyNews1@gmail.com