The government of Ebonyi, a state in Nigeria’s South-East geopolitical zone, has explained why it sent police to thwart the Peter Obi One Million March from taking place in the state’s capital.
The government of Governor David Nweze Umahi has said that participants in Peter Obi’s rally overflowed into the streets on Saturday and inflicted immense suffering on the helpless people going about their everyday lives.
You may recall that your favorite news outlet, Mandy News, had reported that police had fired tear gas at Peter Obi’s followers who had gathered at the pastoral centre to march for him.
According to a press release from Chooks Oko, Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to Governor Umahi, relevant government entities had given their approval for the Labour party to hold a rally at the Abakaliki Township Stadium in exchange for the payment of certain costs. It was learned that the organizers decided not to pay the costs and instead chose to disperse into the streets, where they caused immense suffering for the unfortunate residents going about their everyday lives.
This is the statement that MandyNews.com obtained from Facebook:
- “The attention of the Executive Governor of Ebonyi State have been drawn to some online publications and rumours making the rounds that he ordered the disruption of a gathering in support of one of the presidential candidates in the 2023 elections. This is not true.
- The Executive Governor of Ebonyi state is certainly not aware of any disruption of any gathering as he didn’t order any. He is a democrat who believes firmly in the rule of law. He wishes every contending politician the very best and will insist on a level playing ground for all. If it is true that the police dispersed people, the answer will surely rest with the police.
- For record purposes, the relevant government agencies had approved the use of Abakaliki township stadium for a rally by the Labour party subject to the payment of some specified fees. Rather than pay the fees, it was gathered, the organizers chose to empty into the streets causing some untold hardships on the hapless citizens going about their daily pursuits.
- The police, we are told, had to step in to restore law and order.
- The Governor appeals to all citizens to always abide by the dictates of the law and decent living so that law and order will always reign supreme.
- He wishes all political parties and their candidates well and enjoins all to play the game by the rules.”
Share your story with us! Email MandyNews1@gmail.com