Since February 2022, a man who is known to be Nigeria’s main importer of massive consignments of various brands and heavy dosages of Tramadol Hydrochloride has been on the run.
The man was behind the N3 billion Tramadol deal, which involved the Intelligence Response Team (IRT), led by the suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police Abba Kyari.
This man we are talking about is Chief Afam Mallinson Emmanuel Ukatu, 60, of Anambra State, who was arrested by the NDLEA at the MM2 terminal of the Lagos International Airport, Ikeja, on Wednesday, April 13 and booked into the custody of the federal law enforcement agency.
He’ll face charges in Abuja’s Federal High Court for a different but related crime to that of Abba Kyari.
What charges is Afam Mallinson Ukatu facing?
The national drug law enforcement agency (ndlea) said Afam Mallinson Ukatu will face a different but similar offence to that of Mr. Abba Kyari:
- Drug trafficking and money laundering
- “He has been a major importer of big consignments of various brands and high dosages of Tramadol Hydrochloride, ranging from 120mg, 200mg, 225mg, and 250mg, all of which are illegal, according to the NDLEA.”
- “Ukatu owned pharmaceutical and plastic manufacturing enterprises that he used as a front to bring illegal substances into Nigeria, as well as 103 bank accounts, the majority of which he used to launder money.”
Biography of Afam Mallinson Ukatu
1. Ukatu was born on May 8, 1964 in Onitsha, Anambra State. He is 60 years old.
2. He is married with 5 Children
3. He holds a B.A Honours degree in Philosophy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and an MBA from Crawford University, Ogun State.
4. He is the Executive Chairman and Founder of Mallinson & Partners Limited, a Director in Cowry Assets and Management, a Director at Masters Energy Oil & Gas Limited, Director Urban Space Services, and Director, Alor Microfinance Bank Limited.
5. Ukatu is a Fellow of the Rotary Club International, Fellow, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, (MAN) a member of the Certified Institute of Cost Management of Nigeria (CICM)
6. He also owns Nispo Porcelain Company Ltd.
7. The NDLEA has been monitoring his activities for months
8. Ukatu is a major importer of high dosages of Tramadol Hydrochloride such as 120mg, 200mg, 225mg, and 250mg.
9. He owns 103 bank accounts
10. He is a certified member of the Institute of Strategic Management of Nigeria.