On Monday, October 30, 2023, President Joe Biden signed an executive order aimed at promoting the development and responsible use of artificial intelligence (AI) in the United States. The order, titled “Promoting Responsible AI Innovation and Development,” outlines a series of actions that the federal government will take to ensure that AI is developed and used in a way that is safe, trustworthy, and beneficial to society.
What is the Meaning of the Executive Order?
The executive order is a response to the rapid growth of AI technology and its potential impact on society. AI has the potential to transform many aspects of our lives, from healthcare and transportation to education and entertainment. However, it also poses significant risks, such as the potential for bias, discrimination, and privacy violations.The executive order aims to address these risks by promoting the development of AI in a way that is responsible, transparent, and aligned with American values. It also seeks to ensure that the benefits of AI are shared widely across society, and that the United States remains a leader in AI innovation and development.
What are the Key Provisions of the Executive Order?
The executive order includes several key provisions aimed at promoting responsible AI innovation and development. These include:
- Establishing a National AI Strategy: The executive order directs the Secretary of Commerce to develop a national strategy for AI that includes recommendations for promoting the development and use of AI in a way that is safe, trustworthy, and beneficial to society.
- Creating an AI Advisory Committee: The executive order establishes an AI Advisory Committee, composed of experts from academia, industry, and civil society, to provide advice and recommendations on AI policy and regulation.
- Promoting Ethical and Responsible AI Development: The executive order directs federal agencies to promote the development of AI in a way that is ethical, responsible, and aligned with American values. This includes ensuring that AI is developed and used in a way that is transparent, explainable, and accountable.
- Ensuring the Safety and Security of AI Systems: The executive order directs federal agencies to ensure the safety and security of AI systems, including by developing standards and guidelines for the design, development, and deployment of AI systems.
- Investing in AI Research and Development: The executive order directs federal agencies to invest in AI research and development, including by supporting basic research, developing new AI technologies, and promoting the adoption of AI in key sectors of the economy.
New Standards for AI Safety and Security
As AI continues to advance, it brings along significant implications for the safety and security of Americans. The Executive Order mandates several pivotal actions to mitigate risks:
- Sharing Safety Test Results: Developers of powerful AI systems must share their safety test results with the U.S. government, ensuring rigorous testing before public release.
- Standards and Tests: Rigorous standards, tools, and tests will be developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology to guarantee AI systems’ safety and security.
- Biological Synthesis Screening: Strong new standards for screening dangerous biological materials engineered using AI will be established to manage associated risks.
- AI-Enabled Content Authentication: Standards and best practices for detecting AI-generated content and authenticating official content will be put in place.
- Advanced Cybersecurity Program: An advanced cybersecurity program will harness AI to identify and fix vulnerabilities in critical software.
Protecting Americans’ Privacy
The proliferation of AI can compromise Americans’ privacy. To address this concern, President Biden calls for:
- Data Privacy Legislation: The President urges Congress to pass bipartisan data privacy legislation to protect Americans, especially children.
- Privacy-Preserving Techniques: Federal support will prioritize the development and use of privacy-preserving techniques, including AI-based approaches.
- Privacy-Preserving Research: Funding for research and development of privacy-preserving technologies will advance the adoption of cutting-edge privacy safeguards.
Advancing Equity and Civil Rights
AI can perpetuate discrimination and bias. To ensure equity and civil rights, the Executive Order instructs:
- Guidance Against Discrimination: Clear guidance will be provided to prevent AI algorithms from exacerbating discrimination.
- Addressing Algorithmic Discrimination: The Department of Justice and Federal civil rights offices will coordinate to combat algorithmic discrimination.
- Fairness in Criminal justice: Best practices for using AI in various aspects of the criminal justice system will be developed.
Standing Up for Consumers, Patients, and Students
AI offers benefits but also risks to consumers. To protect consumers and ensure AI’s positive impact, the order directs:
- Responsible AI in Healthcare: AI will be used responsibly in healthcare, with a safety program to address harms or unsafe practices involving AI.
- AI in Education: Support for educators deploying AI-enabled educational tools will be provided.
AI’s impact on jobs and workplaces is significant. To support workers, the order instructs:
- Mitigating Harm: Principles and best practices will be developed to mitigate the harms and maximize the benefits of AI for workers.
- Labor-Market Impacts Study: A study on AI’s potential labor-market impacts will identify options for strengthening federal support for workers facing disruptions.
Promoting Innovation and Competition
America leads in AI innovation, and the Executive Order ensures it continues through actions like:
- Catalyzing AI Research: The National AI Research Resource will provide researchers and students access to key AI resources.
- Supporting Small Developers: Small developers and entrepreneurs will gain access to technical assistance and resources.
- Streamlining Visa Criteria: Highly skilled immigrants and nonimmigrants with AI expertise will be encouraged to study, stay, and work in the U.S.
Advancing American Leadership Abroad
- International Engagement: Collaborative efforts to establish international frameworks for AI’s benefits and risks.
- AI Standards: Acceleration of AI standards development with international partners.
- Global Challenges: Promoting responsible AI deployment to address global challenges.
Ensuring Responsible and Effective Government Use of AI
Government can benefit from AI but must use it responsibly. The order mandates:
- AI Guidance for Agencies: Clear standards to protect rights and safety, improve procurement, and strengthen AI deployment will be issued.
- Efficient Contracting: Agencies will acquire AI products and services more rapidly and cost-effectively.
- AI Talent Surge: Rapid hiring of AI professionals across government agencies.
While this Executive Order marks a significant step forward, more action will be necessary, with the administration’s commitment to working with Congress to pursue bipartisan legislation to ensure responsible AI innovation. The U.S. aims to lead in the responsible development and use of AI, setting a global example.
For more details on the Executive Order, you can refer to the official White House statement.
Here’s a table summarizing the key directives:
|Action AreaKey DirectivesNew Standards for AI Safety & Security- Share safety test results – Develop standards and tests – Establish biological synthesis screening standards – Authenticate AI-generated content – Advance cybersecurityProtecting Americans’ Privacy- Pass data privacy legislation – Prioritize privacy-preserving techniques – Fund privacy-preserving researchAdvancing Equity and Civil Rights- Provide guidance against discrimination – Combat algorithmic discrimination – Ensure fairness in criminal justiceStanding Up for Consumers, Patients, and Students- Use AI responsibly in healthcare – Support AI in educationSupporting Workers- Develop principles and best practices – Study labor-market impactsPromoting Innovation and Competition- Catalyze AI research – Support small developers – Streamline visa criteriaAdvancing American Leadership Abroad- Engage internationally – Accelerate AI standards – Promote responsible AI abroadEnsuring Responsible Government Use of AI- Issue AI guidance for agencies – Improve contracting – Foster AI talent surge|
Share your story with us! Email MandyNews1@gmail.com