Two months after Regina Daniels’ husband Ned Nwoko vowed to sue SaharaReporters over two publications, the site’s founder, Omoleye Sowore, was arrested late Thursday afternoon.
The pro-democracy campaigner and former presidential candidate, was whisked away on his way to the federal high court by men of the Nigerian Police Force. The real reason he was arrested and detained by authorities has come to the fore.
Sowore who was reportedly held at the federal capital territory took to his Twitter account and claimed that his arrest was ordered by Ned Nwoko.
Investigative journalist Kemi Olunloyo revealed that Sowore is being held after Regina Daniels’ husband, Ned Nwoko, petitioned the police claiming that he had made defamatory and false publications about him.
- “BREAKING Omoyele Sowore has been arrested by Prince Ned Nwoko for defamation and false publications about him.
- These articles about Ned “scamming” African leaders etc.
- He is currently being held at Nigerian Police Force Headquarters,” she wrote.
A popular Nigerian lawyer Inebehe Effiong said
- I just stepped out of the Court of Appeal in Abuja with Omoyele Sowore after our case only for the Police to lay ambush and arrest him outside the Court.
- He has been taken away (presumably to former SARS Office in Abuja).
- The Buhari regime is devoting resources to persecute and witch-hunt an unarmed citizen for demanding a better country while pampering terrorists who are killing Nigerians on a daily basis. This is dictatorship.
- We shall not be intimidated.
Sowore’s news website had reported how the former lawmaker lured some prominent African leaders to invest in some of his ‘fictitious giant projects’